Loch Oich is a freshwater loch which forms part of the Caledonian Canal, of which it is the highest point, just over 100 feet above sea level. This narrow loch lies between Loch Ness (to the Northeast) and Loch Lochy (to the Southwest) in the Great Glen. It is fed by the River Garry (from Loch Garry) from the West, and feeds the River Oich from its North end. The Laggan locks separate it from Loch Lochy. A well-marked buoyed channel guides boat traffic safely through Loch Oich.
Loch Oich is rich in wildlife with a wide variety of fishes, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals.
Every autumn the Atlantic salmon migrates from the sea using Loch Oich, Loch Lochy and Loch Ness as their spawning nests. After two years when the fingerling are up to 20 cm long they migrate back to the sea where they grow rapidly and weigh from 3.5 – 17 kg after two years.
On Loch Oich there are a number of mooring points, with the main area being located at the Great Glen Water Park. There are also pontoons located just after the Aberchalder Swing Bridge, beside the Invergarry Castle ruins and in front of The Well of the Seven Heads monument.
Restaurants, Bars & Cafes
Glengarry Castle Hotel Restaurant – A lovely country house hotel on the shores of Loch Oich and with its own mooring, which you are welcome to use. The restaurant is open for non-residents.
Tel: 01809 501254
Invergarry Hotel Brasserie & Bar – Located close to Loch Oich; 20 min walk from Glengarry Castle Hotel pontoon and 30 min. from the Well of Seven Heads. Dogs may be allowed in the bar area.
Tel: 01809 501 206
Loch Oich Food Co. – Food takeaway at the Well of Seven Heads monument, offering breakfast, brunch, home baking and snacks.
Tel: 01809 501 246
Glengarry Filling Station – The small shop offers basic supplies, food & beverage items, newspapers, alcohol, cigarettes. About 15 min. walk from pontoon near Invergarry castle ruins.
Tel: 01809 501 288
Sights & Walks & Activities
Invergarry Castle (ruins) - The castle was the seat of the Chiefs of the MacDonells of Glengarry.
Well of the Seven Heads – This monument was erected in 1812 by Colonel MacDonell of Glengarry and commemorates a particularly bloody incident in Scottish history. The carving of a hand holding a dagger and seven severed heads commemorates an incident which took place in September 1663. A mooring (finger jetty) is provided there by Scottish Canals.
ActiveHighs - Activity centre based at the Great Glen Water Park and also offering a range of outdoor pursuits.
Tel: 01809 501 459 or 07867 895 354
Glengarry Heritage Centre – Small research centre with a large collection of information about the Glengarry area. Located about 1.5 miles (30-40 min. walk) from the mooring at the Glengarry Castle Hotel.
Tel: 01809 501 424
Taxis & Transport
Great Glen Travel - 01809 501 222; mobile 07713 640 990
Well of Seven Heads
Well of Seven Heads